A forum to post my film reviews and celebrity interviews.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Beyonce Knowles Get Bit By Acting Bug


Sandra Kraisirideja
Swathed in sparkling jewelry made with combinations of rubies, diamonds, and pink diamonds, Beyonce Knowles looks dazzling in a pink halter dress, but beyond her beauty is an actress hungry to show the world what she can do.

Knowles understands her acting roles have been as eye candy in zany comedies like “Austin Powers 3” and the upcoming “The Pink Panther,” but she hopes to break that typecast this year.

Knowles may have to wait until the release of “Dreamgirls” for that chance, but for now she’s happy to promote her role in Steve Martin’s update of the “Pink Panther” franchise. The film opens Feb. 10.

To play the role of a pop superstar suspected of murder by bumbling French inspector Jacques Clouseau (Martin), Knowles deadpanned she initially turned down the role because she just wouldn’t have the time to do the research.

When she heard from director Shawn Levy, who cast her in the Disney show, “The Famous Jett Jackson,” however, that she would be playing opposite Martin and Kevin Kline, as Clouseau’s power-hungry boss, she changed her tune.

“I'd told myself I would always work with the best people, people I can learn from,” said Knowles, who spent two weeks in New York and one week in Paris filming. “I laughed the whole time on the set and I'm happy I'm in it,” she added.

Knowles, who has taken some acting classes and would like to pursue acting as a real career, said she was able to learn more about the profession from Martin.

“In between takes he goes from being this wacky, unbelievable character to becoming Steve Martin and working with the director and changing things,” because he also wrote the script. “I'm a songwriter and a performer, so I respect that,” Knowles said.

On stage Knowles affects the part of seductress with ease, but when she’s not performing she can appear demure and almost shy.

With acting she’s learning to transfer what she does on stage, to the screen. “I can come out of my shell when I'm on the stage. Now I'm learning in films I can do the same thing with different characters,” she said.

Knowles has high expectations for herself as an actress and hopes to demonstrate what she’s capable of in the upcoming “Dreamgirls,” directed by Bill Condon and starring Jamie Foxx and Eddie Murphy.

Knowles was born the year “Dreamgirls” made its debut on Broadway and has never seen the musical performed live. While she may have been an ideal candidate for the role vocally, there was some question as to whether she would be able to handle the character’s emotional changes.

“At first they weren't sure if I could play the part because I haven't done anything like it on film. And I knew I could do it. I just never had the chance to do it,” she said.

Knowles will play Deena, who begins the film at age 16 and matures to a 36-year-old woman.

“At the beginning there's nothing glamorous about Deena, and she kind of butterflies into this diva,” Knowles said, which will give her a chance to show her range as an actress.

“I have dramatic scenes and emotional scenes and all these colors, and I'm so excited because people are going to see me act for the first time,” she said.

For now Knowles is busy promoting “The Pink Panther” and is proud to be be able to connect a younger generation to the character, which was made famous by Peter Sellers.

“[There is] something so legendary about that song and that image of the Pink Panther and for me to be the person that represents [the film to others] in 2006 is amazing and for me to be the person who represent Deena is amazing,” Knowles said.

Music is still in Knowles future, but she’s hoping there will be more.

“I just want to challenge myself and learn and I admire people like Barbra Streisand and Dianna Ross who took that risk and are really good at it,” she said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home